Having been born and raised in the Philippines, dealing with the harsh winter here in Denmark is tough for my husband and I. But we never let the winter blues get us. Through the years we have come up with some ideas that truly helps us fight the depression brought by winter.
Here are our top tips to fight winter depression.
- Go for a walk. I know this sound silly considering it is winter but taking even a 30-minute walk can truly help. It helps you keep your mind clear of negative thoughts and gives you time to breathe some fresh air. Also, this has been proven by studies to be really helpful in fighting winter blues.
- Engage in winter activities. Even if it is cold, there are still a lot of outdoor activities that you can do. Try skiing or maybe ice skating. There is an open- air ice skating rink in Frederiksberg Runddel, so try it. I’m sure you’ll have fun. But if you are like me who has issues with balance, errm maybe you can just sit back, relax and enjoy watching people fall.lol
- Go to the gym or do yoga. Winter is no excuse to be fit. If you hate outdoor activities because it is too cold, then go to the gym. I am pretty sure you’ll feel warm and energized there.
- Keep Warm. Make sure that you are well covered when you go outside. I know that it is not so fashionable but, never ever sacrifice your health for the sake of fashion, else you’ll feel more depressed when you get sick.
- Take a short trip. If Copenhagen becomes too depressing for us, my husband and I take short trips to Malmø or even just in Helsingør. I know these places are equally cold, but going into a different environment helps us clear our minds, as well spend some quality time with each other.
- Hygge. I know you are all too familiar with this word already, but if you really don’t feel like going out, get a blanket, play a soft, relaxing music, light a candle, watch a movie or read a book. Try to make your room as relaxing and cozy as possible and simply enjoy life’s little pleasures.
I know these tips seem really basic, but that is the thing with winter depression, even the small things can mend it. These small things can really do wonders.
Another tip that I really want to share is this, ACCEPT THAT IT IS WINTER. It is cold. It is windy. But it’s not all that bad. You are in Denmark, the happiest place in the world. 🙂 Look around you, for sure you will find a reason or two to be happy.
This too shall pass, so just enjoy it and make the most of it.
Here are some of the things that you can also do.
- Hang out with your friends and family
- Drinks Vitamins
- Eat Healthy
- Visit Museums and Parks
WARNING: Don’t let the white walkers get you! ❤
Disclaimer: My husband and I are not psychologists or anything related to that. These tips are just based on our experience. 🙂 We hope that this can help you as well. ❤